Friday, August 15, 2008

The Waiting Is Over

Inside I had a silent pact,
a silent protest,
a quiet calm.
 
I wanted the pain and suffering to end
before I played,  
and so I waited.
 
I had many reasons to reject the joy.
I feared the hurt.
I was uncomfortable and blue.
 
I wanted to be safe.
I wanted life to get better.
I wanted my dreams to always come true.
 
But life was not helping.
Things were not getting better.
And so I waited.
 
I waited to open.
I waited to change.
I waited for peace and for life to get better.
 
My plan was simple or so I thought. 
I would will to won’t.  
I would be strong as a knot.
 
I would sacrifice and protest and never bow.
Life would get better, but I did not know how.  
 
Time went by and to my surprise,
my resistance and sacrifice made me strong
I surmise.
 
But what I did not see was how I was stuck
or how I was attached to the discomfort in life.
I did not see how this choice caused my strife.
 
Then one day I awakened.  I decided to see.
I looked at my truth.
I saw the beauty that persisted.
 
I opened to love.
I saw the light.
It was always there, even though I resisted. 
 
The wisdom and love bubbled up from inside.
It filled my heart. 
I could no longer hide.  
 
I felt the joy.   
My love overflowed.
I was happy to know there would be no more waiting.   

There was still resistance, but I did not force.
I acknowledged the path and offered a choice.
I invited each aspect of self into life and respected each voice.      

Some aspects were unsure.
I gave them the space
to open to heart and accept a new place.   

I honored myself.
I accepted what was.
I no longer had to be perfect in order to be me.  

And so today my wait ends,
and gone is my fight,
as I welcome my new way of wisdom and light.


 - Joe Hurley

An excerpt from my book, "Poems of Light."

Get My Book Of Poems On Amazon Here!

No comments: